Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Professional Awkwardness Hurts

So I'm in this really awkward stage at work. See I work the night shift (8pm-12am) so I don't see a lot of the daytime radio dwellers, which is fine because it's kind of fun to run around the corridors by myself. But the thing is I've been there pretty much full time since late October, so I really should know the name of at least some of my co-workers. I don't.

I know most of them by email only and there are so many men in their late 30s/early 40s that they all look the same. It's getting extremely awkward because I've moved office so I'm closer to other people, who keep walking past my office on their way home and saying "See ya Maddy" to which I say in my super bright and bubbly way "SEE YA *mumble mumble." I somehow figure that if I say the 'see ya' part really loud, they will be so taken aback they won't realise I have no frickin idea what their name is so have just mashed up a mixture of Pete/Andy/Michael.

Then today myself and my presenter (whose name I do know, thankfully) were talking to a guy for a good 10 minutes and after he left I asked presenter-man "who was that?" Turns out it was a techie I have been in weekly email contact with for the last 2 months.

A couple of minutes later and one of the Pete/Andy/Michaels who always says hi to me comes in and starts chatting away. Presenter-man does the right thing and says "Have you two been properly introduced?" and Pete/Andy/Michael says "Oh yeah, Maddy and I go way back." Oh no. So I laugh lamely and say "YEAH YEAH totally..." trying to compensate lack of name recognition with loudness.

But now I am in a bind because I have absolutely no idea who this guy is. I don't even know what his job is. I can't ask presenter man, I can't re-introduce myself. I am forever stuck in name-limbo with Pete/Andy/Michael. Bad news.

1 comment:

  1. I'd almost be tempted to go snooping for clues when everyone's left... look for family photos on desks... nameplates... that sort of thing. It could be like a detective adventure! A-woo!

    ReplyDelete