Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Indie Movies hurt

This is a response to this very thoughtful (if not a little 'I-majored-in-Media-Studies-hear-me-roar') post.

Excuse the wank.

I agree with much of what was said here - though my problem with the appropriation of Indie-ness doesn't align exactly with the authors.

My initial problem with the two movies in question was that they were not great films. In the case of Whip It, it was down right terrible. Everything about this film seemed an afterthought - characters were one dimensional and oh-so predictable, issues were dealt with on the surface only and conflict was messy and yet too-cleanly resolved.
Any potential this film had to challenge gender stereotypes was undermined by it's complete sanitisation of the all-female roller derby (ie. making sure that although the women were seemingly constructed as tough and independent, the audience was aware that they were either engaged/had children and all the positions of responsibility and power, ie. coaches and commentaters, were men).
This film's appropriation of Indie-ness is laughable and will be seen through by all but the 13 year olds (read: target audience) who will see and love it. It is so non-threatening and Hollywood that its use of Indie symbols cannot seriously offend me. Although it is careless and lazy in its use of subcultural codes, it is so obviously mainstream that I don't find it threatening or invasive. It has bigger problems. What offended me more was the over-written screenplay and the pitiful direction. Even for a debut, Drew - this was pretty bad.

(500) Days of Summer offended me more because it consistently bills itself as an indie film. It screams Indie. It beats you over the head with how freakin cool and alternative it is. Read Matt's post for more details because I can't be bothered listing it all again, but it's there in the music, the cinematography, the cast, the costumes, everything. But it was just so heavy handed and obvious that even someone within the subculture has to cringe. The director clearly spent too long jizzing themself over how cool this film would look and not enough time on creating likable characters or meaningful/belivable relationships.

My problem is complex because I haven't always identified with this subculture and was particularly resistant (if not aggressively opposed) to any overt signifiers. I saw them as alienating and downright try-hard. However, even now that I consider myself (*shudder*) one of them, I don't find references to obscure horror film directors or a Radiohead song playing in the background as inclusive. They don't instill me with a sense of belonging, nor does it make me appreciate the film on any greater level.

For me, Indie-ness (the aesthetic, the soundtrack, everything) does not automatically give a film worth. In fact used thoughtlessly, it seriously detracts from my enjoyment.

I would have loved Juno without the codefied references because it was a beautiful story. That's what a film should be primarily occupied with- story telling.

Ok, I clearly ran out of steam towards the end there as it is really late and I am drowning in my various jobs. Maybe I'll clear it up more tomorrow when my brain is not made of porridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment