Sunday, October 25, 2009

My tummy hurts

because I ate too much.

My life is so freakin difficult. No one understands me. I've got all these ailments and only this pitiful blog as my outlet.

I ate too much because I went to afternoon tea with my school friends. This is what happens now apparently. Amongst the cheesecake and awkward silences of people who used to be close and have nothing in common anymore, I discovered that one of said friends reads my lil blog here.

Thank god I didn't publish that bitchy post I wrote about her, eh? That's the thing about these 'web logs' (sometimes referred to as blogs I believe) - you never know who's reading.

But anyway, said friend launched somewhat of a gentle but poignant attack on self when I was giving my humble opinion on the film 'Whip It'. (read below as to what I thought of it, but in short it was a pile of total unrelenting craaaap). This attack stemmed from my use of the word 'codefied' when describing Drew Barrymore's character. She called me up on the fact that I wrote an irrate blog post on people using marketing lingo like "let's open a dialogue" (see below) and yet use much more offensive terms such as 'codefied' in general conversation.

Well Jenny - I apologise for my inconsistencies and apparent hypocricy. I'm sorry that 4 years of media studies has so addled my brain with wankiness that I can't tell what's acceptable in everyday speech and what should be kept for long winded academic articles titled "Now You're a Gay: Gender Identity and Sexuality in Queer Eye For the Straight Guy."

Sometimes these things just slip out, you know? They're greeted with the predictable eye rolling and exchanged glances. I know, I see them. But this is what the School of English, Media Studies and Art History has made me. I'm a monster.

Perhaps, Jenny, we should sit down with our problems and open a dialogue.

WOULD THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY, JENNY?

2 comments:

  1. Also, there's a difference between writing a piece of criticism like an intelligent person (as opposed to a blog that reads like this: OMGWTF GAIS AI TOTES WAS FUCKIN WASTED LOLZ!!!!1!1!!) and actually, you know, talking.
    From my hexperience of transcribing interviews, if we wrote how we talked, there's be specific keys of a computer to automatically add the words 'sort of', 'kinda', 'like' and 'um' to any writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i have some ideas on my blog that may be helpful, if they are please let me know.

    ReplyDelete